WSU Summer Musical Theatre Camp
Dates: July 5 – 10, 2020
The WSU Summer Musical Theatre Camp is designed for high school students who are going into their junior or senior year, or have recently graduated, desiring to explore the wonderful world of musical theater and develop their skills. You will receive lessons and coaching sessions with WSU faculty on both song literature and script preparation, culminating in a showcase performance at the end of the week. You will also participate in workshops and clinics involving such topics as stage movement, musical theater styles, audition and resume preparation, and technical theater.
Participants will enjoy recreational and evening activities, concerts and the use of the WSU Recreational Center. Staff provide 24-hour supervision. Experienced counselors stay in dormitories with the residential participants.
Dates and Times:
Participants arrive and move into the residence hall on Sunday afternoon, July 5, between 2:00 and 4:00 p.m. All boarding and commuting students will be provided dinner on Sunday evening and an orientation to the camp.
The closing Showcase Concert will be on Friday, July 10 at 1:00 p.m. The camp ends when the concert finishes, around 3:00 p.m.
Registration Deadline and How to Send Your Recording:
Online Registration closes at midnight on May 15, 2020.
In addition to submitting the online registration form, please include a video recording of
1) 2 musical theater selections of varying styles and
2) a demonstration of your vocal range, singing a 5-note scale, up and down, starting at the bottom of your range and moving upward to the top.
Instructions for sending in your recording
- 1. Go to the YouTube home page (see the Resources section below).
- 2. Log in to the system by clicking ‘Log In.’ To create a new account, select ‘Sign Up.’
- 3. Click the ‘Upload Videos’ text link.
- 4. Enter your first video’s title: Name, Instrument, etc.
- 5. Type a description of the video’s content which includes your repertoire.
- 6. Create tags for your content. Tags are keywords that users can enter to find videos like yours. (This step is completely optional)
- 7. Click the category that is most relevant.
- 8. Hit the language pull-down menu and click the language your video is in.
- 9. Read the copyright notice.
- 10. Click ‘Continue Uploading.’
- 11. Select ‘Choose File.’ A pop-up window will appear. Select your video from your hard drive’s list and click ‘Choose.’
- 12. Select the “unlisted” option for your video. This allows you to keep your video private—only the people you send the link will be able to view your video. Please be sure to include Julie Anne Wieck (firstname.lastname@example.org) to your contacts.
- 13. Click ‘Upload Video.’ Your content has now been submitted to the YouTube community and WSU Summer Musical Theatre Camp.
If you cannot make a video, an audio recording is also acceptable. Please contact Julie Anne Wieck email@example.com if you’re having trouble sending the recording.
Other forms due by June 1:
In addition to submitting the registration form online, please download, complete and then return them by mail to:
WSU Summer Musical Theatre Camp
Washington State University
PO Box 645300
Pullman, WA 99164-5300
$600 Residential Participants (includes instruction, room and board, camp shirt and evening events)
$395 Commuting Participants (includes instruction, lunches, camp shirt and evening events)
8:45 Roll Call/Announcements
9:00 All Camp Vocal Warm Up/Technique Session
10:00 Breakout sessions for individual lessons, ensemble coaching, staging, technical workshops, and personal practice time
1:00 Breakout sessions for individual lessons, ensemble coaching, staging, technical workshops, and personal practice time
3:00 Recreational time
4:00 Clinic on special topic
7:00 Special evening activity or event