Registration fee: None
Date: Saturday, February 27th, 2021
Band Directors: 10:00am to 3:00pm PST
Oboe Students: 10:00am to 1:00pm PST
Bassoon Students: Noon to 3:00 PST
Schedule of Events:
Join us for a day of double reeds for teachers and students! The schedule for music educators features breakout “refresher sessions” on bassoon (morning) and oboe (afternoon) as well as a mid-day recital. Get tips-and-tricks for teaching beginning, intermediate, and advanced double-reed students, selecting repertoire, making reed adjustments, and investing in instruments while earning continuing education credit hours! The schedule for pre-college students provides the opportunity to meet as an instrument-specific group to discuss reed making, audition preparation and more! Included for all student participants is a complimentary 30-minute private lesson with Dr. McCarthy or Dr. Wilson (to be scheduled at a mutually-convenient time).
- Music Educators Methods Refresher: Double reed instruments present a unique challenge for many music educators. In these sessions we will debunk the most common misunderstandings about the oboe and bassoon and provide strategies for future student success.
- Music Educators Reed Adjusting Workshop: The reed is the single most important factor in determining the tone, response, intonation, and resistance level of the oboe and bassoon. In this session, we will discuss guiding your student and their family through the reed purchasing process and simple steps you can take to immediately improve the quality of your students’ reeds.
- Recital: Enjoy your lunch while watching Drs. McCarthy and Wilson perform music for oboe and bassoon.
- Student Audition Prep Workshop: Playing in front of an audience can be difficult, no matters its size. This workshop will give student oboists and bassoonists tools to help deal with performance anxiety and maximize performance potentials. Discussion topics will include preparation and practice strategies, selection of repertoire, and more!
- Student Reed Making and Adjusting Class: This class will provide student oboists and bassoonists exposure to the reed making process, advice for improving reeds through simple adjustments, and tips on reed maintenance, and care, as well as purchasing information.
Registration Forms: Please Register by February 22, 2021