Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass & Guitar Study
As a violinist, violist, cellist, bassist or guitarist you will find many exciting opportunities in the string area. The WSU School of Music welcomes music majors, music minors and those not majoring or minoring in music to:
- Study privately on your instrument with top teachers
- Play in the WSU Symphony Orchestra and in string quartets, jazz combos or other chamber ensembles
- Participate in master classes with fine guest artists
- Perform both in weekly student Convocations in Kimbrough Music Hall as well as in the weekly concert series in the atrium of WSU’s Holland Library.
- Be part of an exciting music community
- Audition for employment in the Washington-Idaho Symphony Orchestra
WSU string graduates are in demand as both teachers and performers all over the U.S. All of WSU’s recent graduates in string education have received job offers upon graduation. WSU’s string performance graduates are currently employed in orchestras and ensembles including the Golden State Pops Orchestra (concertmaster), Spokane Symphony Orchestra, Colorado Springs Chamber Orchestra, Santa Monica Symphony, Grande Ronde Symphony (soloist), Fresno Philharmonic Orchestra, Olympia Symphony Orchestra, Silver Bay String Quartet and Carnival Cruise Lines Ensemble. Some of the colleges and school districts in which WSU graduates are currently employed include West Valley College, CA; Spokane Falls Community College, WA; Port Angeles, WA; Lacey, WA; Washington D.C.; and Colorado Springs, CO.
Although the WSU String Area’s mission is to train music majors for professional careers in music, we also welcome non-music majors. Almost half of WSU’s ensemble members are non-music majors. Music scholarships are available for qualified majors and music minors by audition. All WSU Symphony string players are encouraged to enroll in private lessons regardless of degree objective.
If you are a high-school string player who is interested in exploring the WSU School of Music please contact a string faculty member to schedule a free private lesson (remotely or in person), or come to a Music Major for a Day event.
If you have any questions or would like to send a recording or schedule an audition please feel free to contact Meredith Arksey, String Area Coordinator.