Choral Ensemble Auditions
Concert Choir, University Singers, and Opera Workshop
WE ARE SINGING AT WSU!!!
Join a Choir! Take Voice Lessons!
Auditions at WSU this Fall will be held through YouTube recordings
which will be accepted through August 21.
• Auditions will take place this fall the week before classes begin.
• These will serve for placement in choral ensembles as well as voice studios.
• You do not need to be a music major to sing in any of our choral ensembles or take lessons.
• All students majoring in music with voice as their instrument are expected to audition.
• Each of our choral ensembles are 1-credit UCORE ARTS courses!
Due to COVID-19, our regular schedule of 5 choral ensembles will be limited to only 3 being offered for Fall 2020:
1. Concert Choir/MUS 431 (UCORE/ARTS) is our auditioned mixed choir consisting of approximately 42 singers from across the campus and performing music from around the world and of all musical styles. They meet M/T/W/TH 2:10-3 p.m. The ensemble performs at a high level, sings approximately three concerts on campus each semester, and tours annually.
2. University Singers/MUS 432 (UCORE/ARTS) is our non-auditioned mixed choir. The ensemble performs a wide range of repertoire and presents at least three performances each semester. They meet M/W/F 1:10 – 2:00 p.m.
3. Opera Workshop/Opera and Musical Theatre Productions/MUS 428 (UCORE/ARTS) Each fall the program features scenes from operas and musical theater, allowing students to develop roles appropriate to their skill/musical level. During the fall, they meet M/W 3:10-5pm and perform twice in the semester. In the spring semester, they meet Monday and Wednesday from 3:10-6:00 pm in preparation for a fully-staged production, alternating between opera and musical theater. Recent performances include The Merry Wives of Windsor, Into the Woods, The Merry Widow, Young Frankenstein, and Die Fledermaus.
To audition, singers must complete the audition form and submit a recording:
PROCESS: Creating a Playlist and Sharing
If you have questions, please contact Dr. Julie Anne Wieck.